When it comes to ways of making money online, our minds usually head straight to things like customer service for a company such as Amazon or blogging – because that’s what everybody is doing. Right? Well, there are so many options in between that you may be overlooking.
Some of the ideas we are talking about today will allow you to use your knowledge, interests and experience to make money. Because these are areas you know, it may not take much to get yourself set up for success.
Sell Your Knowledge
Our first overlooked opportunity is selling your knowledge. In this instance, we are talking about creating a course or eBook that you can make available for purchasing online. Because of the automation available today, you may be able to put in the work once when creating your packaged information and then enjoy those checks coming in for months or years to come.
If you are in need of immediate cash, this is a project you will want to start on the side as the return may not be immediate. That being said, this is a passive income idea you should definitely take advantage of. Who doesn’t want to make money while they sleep or travel?
- In a past post, we talked to Darrell Gurney who has had over 1,000 students enroll in his course on Udemy. This is a course he charges $200 to take.
- We have also talked to ladies earning a full-time income selling digital products from travel guides to eBooks on Amazon and e-junkie.
Get Paid for Your Referrals
I love referral and affiliate marketing. It’s where the vast majority of my income comes from these days. Even if you aren’t a blogger, you can get in on the action as well. You can get paid to refer your friends to a wide variety of legitimate services. While there are many companies like ThredUp that will give you store credit for referrals, we are focusing on those that offer cold, hard cash today. Keep in mind, you will need to be signed up for the program yourself to take advantage of the program. But, you shouldn’t be referring people to things you don’t use anyway.
- Ebates has long been one of my favorite services and they offer an awesome referral program. This service pays members cash back on their online purchases – and some in-store purchases now. When you refer your friends, you will earn $5 per person when they make their first purchase of $25 or more. They also offer some stellar bonuses if you can refer a number of people. And, they offer a $10 gift card for new members.
- Ibotta is another great cash back program that your friends may want to join. This one offers rebates on groceries. We all need groceries. You get paid $10 for every two friends you refer. You will also get a $10 bonus when you sign up.
- Swagbucks is a program to consider if your friends and family want to make a little extra cash doing things like surveys or watching videos. You will earn 10% of their earnings once they are on your team. And, you will receive a $5 bonus when you sign up.
If there are programs you use and love, take a look around their website for a referral or affiliate program. You will often find a link at the bottom of the website. Don’t spam your friends. Keep it classy.
Help Others Do What You Do (coaching & consulting)
There are so many ways you can make money helping other people succeed and reach their goals. Depending on your background and education, you may be able to offer services as a business consultant, wellness coach and more.
- The founder of coach.me told us that they have had coaches earn up to $7,000 in just one day. Though that’s likely out of reach unless you have an engaged following already, you may be able to get in on some of their other offerings.
- Demi Karpouzos shared with us how she started her own business to help women become six-figure earners.
Sell Your Knowledge II (writing)
Maybe you don’t want all of the maintenance that comes with creating and upkeeping courses and eBooks. Maybe you don’t mind writing about your interests, but you just want to be done with it once it’s completed. Don’t worry. You’ve got so many options when it comes to freelance writing and many pay pretty well.
- Here is a list of sites that pay $50 and up for unique articles and blog posts.
- Here are over 200 ways you can get paid to write everything from greeting cards to online ads.
- Shauna Huston shared with us how she makes extra money offering resume writing services on Etsy.
- Holly Johnson shared with us how she earns six-figures writing personal finance articles for websites.
Sign Up for Focus Groups
If you like sharing your opinion on products, services and issues, you may be able to make some money with online focus groups. I consider surveys and focus groups two very different things. Most real focus groups are more formal and involved than simply selecting checkboxes. Many require a phone call or video chat is performed online. You may even find some in-person paid focus groups in your area by looking on Find Focus Groups.
- Real Ways to Earn has a list of 17 companies here
- The Penny Hoarder has some additional opportunities listed here
Wait. Didn’t we already talk about Ebates? We did, but only from the referral viewpoint. Don’t forget to actually use the program yourself to earn cash back on your online purchases. I don’t pay much attention to the newsletters and daily offers, but I do check the site every time I head to an online checkout. If you install the browser extension, it will let you know if a site you are visiting offers cash back through Ebates. If you work from home, you are bound to make a lot of online purchases. Don’t miss out on free cash.
Get Paid for Your Feedback (usertesting)
Focus groups aren’t your only opportunity to get paid for your feedback. Website testing is also a fan favorite around here. In this position, you are giving your feedback on the usability and overall appeal of a website. This is just a little side gig as there isn’t a ton of work available, but it pays good. Most sites pay $5 to $15 for what usually equates to 20 minutes of work. Sign up with several websites for a better chance at receiving more testing opportunities. You will find a list here.