One of the most popular requests I receive is ways to make extra money. Maybe you have a full-time job and are looking for a little side gig. Maybe you are a stay at home mom and just want a little something you can do as time allows without a big commitment.
Regardless of your motivation, here are 50 ways you can earn extra money in your spare time. Click through any of the links for more information.
Make Money Fast Locally
- Tutoring is a great opportunity to pick up extra cash if you have a specific area of expertise – or are just great at teaching others. You don't usually need a teaching degree or certificate. Tutoring can be done online or in person.
- Pet-sitting is a great money-making idea for those who love animals. You can mind animals while their owners are on vacation or even at work. If you don’t want to start your own pet-sitting business, you can sign up as a contractor with a company like Rover.
- Lawn care may be of interest if you love the outdoors. Just three or four lawns per week could net you $100 or more.
- Grocery shopping is a great errand service to offer busy parents and the elderly. It needs to be affordable, however, as most store chains offer free pickup these days. But, you can always go the extra mile and put the groceries away for your client. There are also several companies out there, like Instacart, that hire shoppers.
- Event Promotion – Also called brand ambassadorships, you will often find these listed on Craigslist under Gigs > Events. You may be handing out flyers or working in a merchandiser-type position at an event. These can pay well but are sometimes one-off opportunities. Make sure you are paid the day of the event if you won’t be working for them again.
- Rent out a room in your house on AirBnB. We have talked to a few people in the past who make tens of thousands of dollars per year with this opportunity.
- Become a rideshare driver and make money driving people around.
- Pick up a few gigs on TaskRabbit or Zaarly if you have a few open hours this weekend. Tasks here run the gamut, so there's sure to be something you're qualified for.
- Mystery shopping can be a great idea if you can keep yourself on budget and stack your shops for more profits.
- Have a garage sale to get rid of unwanted items. Plan a neighborhood sale with those on your block to gain more interest.
- Do some flea market flipping if you love attending those garage sales.
- Babysit one weekend a month for extra cash.
- Housesit during the summer months and holidays while people are enjoying their getaways. This is a really flexible gig provided animals in need of walking aren't involved.
- Join a clinical research trial and get paid to further science and the medical community (at your own risk, of course).
- Sell your plasma. This is a good deed that's always rewarding.
- Selling your hair is kind of gross, but there are people who will pay for it.
- Join a focus group and get paid for providing your feedback to companies.
- Sign up with the Job Spotter app from Indeed and earn gift cards for taking pictures of Hiring signs around town.
- WeGoLook is a service where out of town buyers can contract local “Lookers” to go inspect property or cars they are interested in buying.
- Shiftgig is an app that connects local businesses with independent contractors for shift work. One night you may be working a concert, the next a restaurant opening. Like WeGoLook, you only work when you want to work. That makes it great for those with children or irregular schedules.
- Chauffeuring people around isn’t the only way to make money driving. You have a variety of opportunities available today from delivering packages to picking up lunch.
- Do you live in a larger city? Have you seen those bright colored scooters on all of the corners downtown? You could pick up some extra dough charging and maintaining those scooters.
Make Money Online
- Graphic Design can help you pick up a few bucks designing websites and other online marketing materials.
- Writing – This is a freelance service that offers a lot of flexibility. It makes for a great side gig for those working full-time. Write website content, ebooks and even educational lessons for extra cash.
- Online Marketing – This can encompass so many things; writing and submitting press releases, blogger outreach, social media marketing.
- Transcription can sometimes be open to those without experience. The pay is usually performance-based, so the faster and more accurate you can type the more money you'll earn.
- Customer Service – This opportunity usually comes with a strict schedule as companies need to ensure incoming calls are covered 24/7. If you currently have a schedule that offers flexibility, check out our list of seasonal opportunities if you are just looking for a little extra cash short-term.
- If you know your way around a WordPress site, build mini-websites and sell them for money.
- Work as a telenurse fielding phone calls from phone. Learn more about online jobs in the healthcare industry here.
- Lose weight and earn up to $100 per month with sites like HealthyWage.com or DietBet.com. Read all about getting paid to lose weight. You can also get paid to walk!
- Open a bank account with select banks to earn a fast cash bonus. Currently, Capital One 360 is offering $25 – $50 for opening a savings or checking account
- Provide website feedback to web owners looking to provide a better user experience.
- Search Engine Evaluation is fan favorite around here. Get paid to help Google and other search engines make sure their search results are relevant and high quality.
- Surveys – These won't pay the bills, but you can make a few extra bucks during television commercials.
- Shopping – We all have to shop. Why not earn some cash doing it?
- Get a seasonal tax prep job and put your accounting background to good use.
- Complete small tasks on a site like mTurk. These mini-tasks often take no more than a few minutes each to complete. You won’t be rolling in the dough, but it can add up over time.
- Do you spend a lot of your free time buried in the pages of the latest bestseller? Learn how you could get paid to read.
- Translation is in-demand, especially if you are fluent in a lesser-known language.
- Clean out your closets and sell unwanted items through an online consignment shop like Poshmark.
- Sell your old electronics and smartphones through a site like Gazelle. You will get the most money for current electronics, but it's better than sending them to the landfill. Or having them fill up your junk drawer.
- Have an old laptop lying around? You can sell that used laptop for cash too.
- Sell photos online for extra cash. This can be a great passive income opportunity for those with an eye for images.
- Sell unwanted clothes and accessories at ThredUp.
- Sell your old books (or cheap books you find at thrift stores) on BookScouter.com or Amazon.
- Cash in on the Amazon FBA phenomenon. We have spoken with several sellers earning a full-time income from home with this platform.
- Sell unwanted items from around the house on eBay. When you run through those, consider flipping or drop shipping.
- Sell handmade wares on Etsy. And don't forget Etsy isn't just for physical items. You can also sell digital downloads.
- Become a direct sales consultant. There is a company for every interest and budget.
These are a few of my favorite ways to make extra money. What would you add to the list?