In just a few short months we will be celebrating one of the most festive, yet often stressful, holidays of the year – Christmas. This time of year isn’t just stressful because of gift giving, but you may find yourself in need of additional funds for taxes, increased utility bills due to the cold weather or children’s school activities.
Regardless of why you need the cash, read on for 40 ways to make money for the winter holidays.
- Work at Home as a Seasonal Customer Service Rep – this is one of the easiest work-at-home jobs to land. There are so many companies – big names like HSN, Willliams-Sonoma and Groupon – looking for temporary seasonal phone and chat reps to answer questions and enter sales during the holiday shopping season. And the pay isn’t too shabby – usually $9 to $15 per hour – with regular paydays.
- Earn with Swagbucks – I’m a big fan of Swagbucks. Earn points called SB that can be redeemed for gift cards and cash by PayPal. One of the easiest ways to earn right now is watching videos. I explore the other ways to score SB with my Swagbucks review.
- Earn Extra Money as a Pet Sitter – people travel during the holidays. Make a little extra money watching their furkids. If you’d prefer not to petsit, you can also score some holiday funds as a dog walker – spare elderly pet-owners the cold or give dogs the attention busy folks lack time for during this busy holiday season and check out Wag!.
- Earn Extra Money with Crowdsourcing Websites – make a little cash completing small business tasks and more on sites like FancyHands or mTurk. The pay isn’t great, but there’s usually no schedule or specific time commitment involved. Hop on whenever you have a few minutes.
- Become an Amazon Seller – there is big money to be made on Amazon as a small business with FBA or as a reseller in their Amazon Marketplace. Start small and work your way up. You can even have fun creating your own private label! This won’t be instant cash, however, so get started earlier.
- Get Paid to be a Personal Grocery Shopper – contract with one of these companies or go it alone. This one can land you $25 per hour or more depending on your location.
- Make Money Shopping – I love Ebates. Between cashback and referrals, I will earn over $10,000 with this program this year. You’ll get a $10 bonus when you sign up and make a qualifying purchase. You’ll be happy you joined when it comes time to do your online Christmas shopping!
- Clean Up, Clear Out and Cash In for Christmas – If you’re down to the wire and need cash fast, hit up your basement, closets and garage for unwanted items. There are tons of companies that will take your unwanted items – and some don’t even require you to leave the house!
- Make Money with SavingStar – it isn’t just groceries anymore… you can earn by using your loyalty cards with retailers like Walgreens, and they also offer cash rebates for online shopping (similarly to Ebates).
- Offer Party Prep Services – a lot of people want to host a memorable holiday shindig, they just don’t have the time. That’s where you come in! Order the food. Send the invitations. Decorate. Find customers by checking with local small businesses or your friends and family (and their friends).
- Work as a Virtual Assistant – home business owners need a holiday, too. Earn some cash holding down the fort while they are away. Stay on top of their social media, monitor comments on their blogs, take calls, and more.
- Affiliate Marketing – there is big money to be made by bloggers this time of year. This is another one you will want to start early. Get a free domain name and hosting for as little as $3.95 per month with SiteGround, jumpstart your blog, and start building your affiliate relationships now!
- Babysitting – don’t worry, you don’t need to take on a year-round commitment. This post will tell you how to swoop in, cash out and move along.
- Tutoring – you don’t need a teaching license to tutor in most cases. And there are so many sites that offer online tutoring. These days, online jobs tutoring English seem ever more plentiful!
- Make Money with Your Car – isn’t it time you car got a job? This is a great time to become a driver with Lyft or Uber (or even deliver food with UberEats) as people want to get out and shop without having to worry about parking spaces and a cold seat. Then there’s the folks exhausted from holiday engagements who just don’t feel like cooking dinner – and let’s not forget those needing a designated driver home from holiday get-togethers.
- Make Money with Your Smartphone – while we are at it, isn’t it time your smartphone got a job?! There are so many apps out there that can help you make money on the go.
- How to Become a Mystery Shopper – this is a great opportunity that you can do as you choose. There is no big commitment involved, but make sure you’re careful and only accept legitimate opportunities.
- Become a Website Tester – give website owners your opinion on what they could improve to make your visit better; work with established companies and complete prescribed walkthroughs of specific tasks.
- Make Money Writing – this is such a lucrative gig if you have a love for grammar and research. If you have knowledge in a specialized area like personal finance or healthcare, you can easily charge $150 or more per article. A few of those and your income goals have been met!
- Direct Sales – I love direct sales! It’s easy to get going and this is one of the best seasons of the year for sales. You can find a direct sales opportunity in almost every industry, from personal care and gorgeous jewelry to kitchen products and stuff for your pets. Also, many of them don’t require much in the way of start-up costs, making these opportunities a fantastic way to give running your own home business a try!
- Find a Virtual Blog Assistant Job – Many bloggers will be taking some time off to spend with their families during the upcoming months. You could help out while they are relaxing and make a little dough in the process: offer to ghostwrite blogs, complete research they’d otherwise have to make time for, respond to comments, etc.
- Fiverr – I love Fiverr. Use these tips to get started and be successful. While $5 offers are the baseline charge at the site, you’re both encouraged and able to offer advanced services for larger fees.
- Sell Stuff on Craigslist – need cash fast? List your unwanted goods on Craigslist. Just do it in a safe and honest manner, set fair prices, and don’t meet with strangers privately.
- Sell Stock Photos – you no longer need a fancy camera to take high-quality images. Whip out your smartphone and start snapping for a little spending money.
- Become a Social Media Manager – a little more specialized than general virtual assistant offerings, but a higher wage as well. You will need some experience or training, but that can be obtained online. It also helps to enjoy social media yourself, and have a very thorough knowledge of the various platforms.
- Resume Writer – get paid to help someone land their dream job and earn $100 or more per completed resume; this is a service you can offer on Fiverr, or even set up a site specifically to sell.
- Get Paid to Lose Weight – you know it’s coming in the face of all these rich holiday meals! Why not make it a game, go into the holidays healthier, and make some cash from your exercise and dieting efforts?
- Teach an Online Class – you don’t need to be a licensed teacher, you just need to be an expert at something. Teachable and Udemy are great places to sell your courses, or you can do it entirely through your own website. And don’t neglect creating your own ebooks!
- Sell on eBay – eBay is another great way to make money selling unwanted items – or by having those hot holiday items that you manage to score and then flip for a higher price. Sarah Titus has some great tips for getting started and becoming successful.
- Buy Low Sell High with Retail Arbitrage – Speaking of flipping product, want to know where to get some more cheap goods for reselling on eBay, Amazon, Craigslist or Facebook? This post has some great ideas.
- Make Money Blogging – so maybe this one won’t earn in time for this Christmas, but it could be profitable by next year. Possibly more profitable than you ever imagined: Michelle earns over $50,000 per month from her blog! Make sure you pick up this free training, 7 Surefire Ways to Boost Your Blog Income Overnight.
- Delivery Driver – Even if you’re not comfortable giving strangers rides, you could still make money driving and delivering either food or packages. Check out UberEats, Amazon Flex, DoorDash, GrubHub, or Postmates.
- Personal Concierge – Help people in your community run their errands for extra money. If you don’t want to set up your own business but still run errands or do tasks for people, check out apps like TaskRabbit or Gigwalk.
- Apps to Make Money Locally – you don’t just have to complete online tasks to make money with your smartphone. These apps will have you making money while out and about, including simply by shopping!
- Work at Home Accounting Jobs – have a background in accounting? Put those bookkeeping skills to work! This one can carry over into the New Year as well with sites like Intuit starting their seasonal hires of remote workers for tax season.
- Work On-Demand – freelancing doesn’t just mean working online. There are some great opportunities to earn extra cash in your community, from carpooling to local deliveries to housework and handyman gigs. These sites will help you find them.
- Make Money on Amazon – there are so many fantastic ways to make money on Amazon – and not just as a seller either. You can even rack up some nice store credit by referring your friends to the site or completing small tasks in your free time.
- Make Money Proofreading – if grammar gaffes get your goat, you may be able to make some nice money as a remote proofreader. This is one of those positions that may come with a highly flexible schedule – fit in your work where you can and just make your deadlines.
- Start Investing – I LOVE passive income. There are very few opportunities as passive as investing – let your money do the work for you. You have several options to choose from based on your cash on hand and comfort with risk. Look into peer-to-peer lending, eREITs and automated investing.
- Open a savings or checking account – Capital One 360 will give you a $25 bonus when you open a new savings or checking account with a qualifying deposit. I don’t know about you, but I’ll pick up free $25 bills wherever I can find them. Just use this referral link. And if you plan on doing a little gift giving or shopping for yourself over the next few months, don’t miss Discover’s referral offer. They’ll give you a $50 cashback bonus when you open a new account and make a purchase within three months.
Bonus tip: Take a look at what you’re spending. Take this challenge to save up to $500 in just 7 days.
Free 7-day Series on Finding Work at Home
Join my weekly newsletter to receive remote job leads, work-at-home tips and my 7-day series on finding legitimate work from home FREE!