Life wouldn’t be very interesting if we didn’t get thrown the occasional curveball. The washing machine breaks down. The furnace goes out of commission. The car gets a flat. And that’s all in one week! When a temporary financial crisis arises, here are a few great ways to make money fast and easy.
Hold a Flash Sale
If you are an online business owner, chances are good you are either offering your services or products in exchange for payment. Regardless of what you have to offer, consider running a flash sale if times are tight.
Freelance writers, for example, can offer a block of articles to be written at a reduced rate. If you have an online course, consider offering it at a 50% or 75% discount for one day. If you sell handmade items, run a Buy One Get One 50% off if your profit margin allows. The key is not to undercut your prices to the point of looking of little value or that you are losing money. You should also only do this occasionally or your customers may become conditioned to only buy from you when things are on sale.
Clear Out the Basement
If you need ways to make money now, I wouldn’t bother listing things on eBay. Instead, I would head straight to local secondhand stores to get rid of those old video games, books and clothes. Alternatively, for clothing, I may consider ThredUp who will pay you upfront for items as opposed to making you wait until they sell.
Have a Yard Sale
Even better than taking your stuff to a reseller is having people come to you! Depending on how much and what kind of goods you have to get rid of it isn’t too hard to net $500 to $700 by holding a weekend yard sale.
Make sure everything is washed, tagged and organized by size. People should feel like they are shopping – because they are. No one wants to dig through piles of clothes. You don’t want to spend all day showing people where to find the sizes they are looking for. Spend the time on organization. It will pay off ten-fold.
Offer Your Services Locally
Every time I see someone in a Facebook Buy/Sell Group making themselves available for Saturday night babysitting, raking leaves or doing a little puppy pen cleanup, my heart swells with entrepreneurial pride. The fact of the matter is there is opportunity to make money everywhere. You just have to ask! If you can hang Christmas lights, haul trash or help with homework, someone may know someone in need of your services. Put yourself out there.
I have an obsession with old windows. I’ll take every free or cheap chippy old window I can find. I had asked my husband to put a few coat hangers on one I wanted to hang by the front door. It became quite a hit. Unique old windows themselves can go for $45 and up. Adding a little flair and he could easily pull in $65 or more. If you have primitive hoarding tendencies of your own, go through your stuff and see what can be upcycled for a little extra cash.
Go on a Gigwalk
If you live in a large city, you may be able to find plenty of available gigs to complete on Gigwalk. These are small in-person tasks like checking a price or availability of a product in your local store. The minimum amount a gig can be listed for is $3. You will have access to high-paying jobs as you build up your reputation.
One reason I like this app over many traditional mystery shopping jobs is payment is quick. If you are looking for ways to make money fast, you probably don’t have two to four weeks to wait. Gigwalk pays immediately upon approval and you can receive your funds by PayPal.
Cash-In on Day Labor
Maybe you are in between gigs right now. Taking on a temporary day labor position will allow you to work today and get paid today. Labor Ready and Labor Works are two sites that offer job boards and matching services to temporary workers.
Make Some Deliveries
Onboarding usually takes about a week with most companies, so this is one to put into place before you actually need it. Apps like OrderUp, Postmates and DoorDash will pay you for delivering everything from lunch to a store order. They claim you will earn up to $25 per hour, but that’s usually a pretty generous estimate. Payments are typically weekly.
Get Your Taxi On
Like delivery driving, you should also put in your driver applications before an emergency arises. Uber and Lyft are two big names in this industry and you will need to go through an application and training period prior to being able to pick up rides. That being said, once you’re in you have the freedom to pick up time slots as you see fit. You aren’t locked into a schedule. Therefore, it’s a good one to keep in your back pocket for emergency purposes if you don’t care to be a full-time driver.
New to The Work at Home Wife?
Working at home successfully is all about maximizing your online time for profits. If you are new to my site, I highly recommend the below opportunities and resources.
- Ebates – I love, love, love Ebates. It’s not unusual for me to earn $300 to $1,000 per month in cash back bonuses and referring my friends. And, the program is free! They will even give you a $10 gift card just for signing up (and so will you).
- Swagbucks – This program has come a long way from its earn-for-search beginning. Today you can earn SB for completing surveys, watching videos and more. Redeem your SB (aka Swagbucks) for cash or gift cards. (Members redeem approximately 7,000 gift cards per day!) Get a $5 signup bonus when you earn 2500 SB in your first 3 months.
- Ibotta - This nifty little app can help you earn money doing something you have to do anyway - grocery shopping. It's kind of like coupons, but instead of money off at the counter, you get cash back on select items each week. You can take your rebate by PayPal in cash or use it to purchase gift cards at great merchants like Amazon. They also have an amazing referral program. Get $10 for every two friends you refer! If you sign up through my referral link, you will get another $10 bonus when you redeem your first rebate.
- Start a Blog – Blogging is what pays my bills these days. It’s not too difficult to start a blog on the side and it’s not expensive either. Learn how you can get your first month of hosting for only a penny in the above link. Already have a blog? Learn 7 Surefire Ways to Increase Your Income here.
- FlexJobs – This is my go-to job board for high-quality job leads. The listings are always researched and always telecommute. No scams!