By Linjo Joson
Fiverr is an online marketplace to sell your skills as a service. You can sell any type of services that could be delivered digitally; say graphic designing, creative writing, video animation, parenting tips, cooking recipes and even fortune telling. The pricing of any gigs starts at 5 US Dollars and hence the name Fiverr. You can offer services in multiple categories (music, video & animation, programming, writing, modeling etc) with a single fiverr account. Service buyers order your services via fiverr and you’ll get paid after you deliver them perfectly (fiverr will take a small percentage as commission). In fiver, each service you offer is called a gig. Apart from the basic 5$ gig, you can also offer advanced gigs for a price above 5$. Many fiverr service providers offer value-added gigs at 10 USD for delivery within 24 hours. Fiverr has a global Alexa rank of 485, which means this website falls under the most popular 500 websites in terms of traffic.
How much money can you make selling fiverr gigs?
You might be curious to know how much money you can make selling mere 5$ gigs, right? In fiverr, the whole game lies in volumes. Well, quality is important but you can’t spend a whole day providing a 5$ service. You need to service a large number of orders to make good money from fiverr. People(service buyers) use fiverr to get low-cost services. Where in this world will anyone get a model to endorse her brand (by holding logo board or signboard) for just 5$?
Take a look at the story of Redd Horrocks, a fiverr seller from Nevada. Redd made around 9,000$ in just 30 days through her fiverr gig (recording a voiceover in British or American accent). She used fiverr initially as a service buyer to get her documents formatted. But it was then Redd surfed over the website to get an idea of the services offered and she stumbled upon “voice overs”. Redd started a gig instantly offering “voice overs in British and American accent” and she made $1000 in summer 2013. However, by the end of March 2014, she successfully managed to reform her page with a video and outsourced the “actual work” to another contractor in Fiverr.
Redd has set up her basic gig (the 5$ one) for recording 125 words. The real money in Redd’s gigs lies in her value-added offerings where she charges 10$ for 1-day delivery, 50$ for recording additional 1250 words, 20$ for priority recording (where the order will jump the queue and get serviced with priority). Redd did not make any efforts to promote her gig outside Fiverr. At present, Fiverr is a big community of around a million users(active) and this user base is more than enough to get the required visibility and sales.
Let’s take a look at another Fiverr service provider Gigblast. Gigblast offers the service of logo creation for 10$. He also offers premium gigs for 50$ and 205$. Till date, Gigblast has amassed nearly 30,000 reviews and has 500+ orders in queue (at any point of time). The total number of orders he might have serviced till date will be much higher than the review count(as not everyone who purchases will write a review). Let’s attempt to calculate the total amount of money made by Gigblast. We are taking only total number of reviews count for calculation (actual number of orders could be 2x or 3x the review count)
30,000 x 10 $ = 300,000 $
Taking into account sales of premium gigs and the fact that actual order count very higher than review count, I assume Gigblast might have already crossed a million USD in revenues from Fiverr.
Which fiverr categories are in great demand?
If you analyze the service providers in fiverr, you can see lots of top rated sellers and super sellers. What kind of gigs do they sell? How they make such huge money by selling services in demand? Let’s identify which all are the best selling fiverr services and which category they fall into. It always makes sense to offer a service with demand (from your skillset) rather than going ahead with a gig in less demand.
Graphic design is one of the hottest and high demand category in fiverr, out of which logo design and social media graphics design are in greater demand. If you check the logo design category in fiverr, you will see lots of gigs with 2K+ reviews. This indicates the high demand for graphic design services in Fiverr.
Online marketing/SEO services is another category which lots of fiverr buyers are interested in. blboss, a Spanish seller is a popular super seller in this category(offering backlink building service), and he has earned more than 32K reviews. If we roughly estimate his earnings, it’s well over 150,000 USD.
Video & Animation is another super hot category in which gigs like 1-minute video, 1-minute animation, product reviews, presentation, intro videos, video testimonials are all in high demand.
As a case study, let’s have a look at this twin video gig offered by Theadtwins, a fiverr top rated seller. They offer to film a commercial promoting your music, product, business, website or even your service starting at 5$. The commercial created with twins is really eye-catching and they have earned more than 3,200 positive reviews till date.
Content writing and translation
You can offer gigs in content writing (like technical writing, specialized nice writing etc) as well as translation services (like English to German, French to English etc). Most of the 5$ content writing gigs start with 500 words offering.
Amibt is a fiverr top rated seller who provides gigs in content writing services. His gig offering 500 words of content for 5$ is one of the best selling gigs in fiverr. With more than 17K reviews, he has made around hundred thousand dollars+ in revenue from fiverr.
Other best selling categories in fiverr are music gigs, web development/programming, advertising, business plan writing etc.
How to achieve high sales for your fiverr gig?
You won’t get orders by simply starting a gig in fiverr. So what are the key factors to become a best seller in fiverr? Let’s have a look:
- Start something new – As a beginner, it is good to stay away from the most common services like logo design, SEO services and other similar services where the competition is really high. In many popular niches, you have to compete with sellers having great reputation (with very high positive reviews). Instead of providing a “just another” type service gig, try to offer something unique and new. Offering a unique gig helps you stand out in competition.
- Use catchy title, description and pictures – Title is really important to get buyer’s attention. Make sure your title is catchy, you have detailed description and your pictures (profile picture/cover picture and other graphics) are attractive.
- Provide multiple gigs – It’s a good idea to offer gigs in multiple categories so that you can cater to a wide segment of customers. You cannot predict which gig is going perform well. Try offering multiple gigs and stick onto your best selling gigs.
- Narrow down your niche – Narrowing down your niche can get you more orders. It can improve your conversion ratio. For example, if you are offering a translation service, offer that service in a specific language (Eg: English to Spanish) rather than providing a general translation service.
- Providing top quality service – Quality is really important. If you provide higher quality, you’ll get more positive reviews which will eventually generate more sales.
- Optimizing your tags – Proper tagging increases the visibility of your gigs. You need to tag your gig with proper keywords so that buyers can search and reach out to your services easily.
- Getting more reviews and positive feedback – Positive reviews and feedback can improve your overall visibility and reputation in fiverr. If you have more positive reviews, you’ll build trust and this can improve your sales.
Fiverr is a great marketplace with millions of buyers in its community. You can make decent money by offering high quality service to this community members. You have to be patient, as it may take a little time for your gig to catch up with the audience and get reviews. You don’t need to be a pro in your niche to make money with fiverr. Make sure you offer something interesting and useful.
Linjo Joson is an experienced blogger and web developer. He writes articles to help people make money from their blog. With more than 10 years of experience in Blogging/WordPress development, he has developed lots of premium WordPress themes and has helped many clients in building their blogging/online business.
Free 7-day Series on Finding Work at Home
Join my weekly newsletter to receive remote job leads, work-at-home tips and my 7-day series on finding legitimate work from home FREE!