We have had several requests recently for non-phone work at home jobs. While phone-based customer service is one of the more available and easy to attain work from home opportunities, it isn’t for everyone. Perhaps you don’t have a quiet work environment due to kids. Maybe you are hearing-impaired. Maybe you just don’t like it. Regardless, here are several popular gigs to consider.
If you have a background in teaching or even a college degree in some cases, you may find scoring at home a great fit for your non-phone needs and schedule. Depending on the company you may be scoring student tests or essays. The pay can range from $8 to $20 per hour. There is usually some type of work schedule or weekly hour commitment in place but it is often somewhat flexible.
While many customer service positions require communicating by phone, people are also needed to answer emails and those little chat boxes most online merchants now have. You still need to have stellar customer service skills you will just be relaying them through a different platform.
There is a growing demand for online moderators. These positions range from monitoring a forum for inappropriate posts to manning a business’ Facebook Page for proper conduct and to respond to customer service issues. Want to start your own social media management business? Check out this course from Alexis Grant.
Freelance writers are hired to create everything from blog posts to eBooks to Facebook ads. The possibilities are endless as are the jobs for those possessing strong grammar and research skills. Entry level positions may not pay the best but you can quickly move up in pay as you build an online portfolio.
- Writing for Content Mills
- Problogger Job Board
- Writing gigs paying $.10 or more per word
- Using Facebook Groups to land more jobs
- 30 Days to a New Freelance Writing Career
Though this will not be an option for those hearing-impaired, transcribing audio files into text documents is a popular work from home option that doesn’t require being on the phone.
- Want to become trained to do medical transcription? Career Step provides the education you need.
Search evaluation is one of the more unique work at home jobs. In this position you will be looking at search results and judging them for quality and relevancy. Most companies offer a flexible schedule but there is usually a minimum weekly or monthly commitment.
With this gig you will be visiting websites and relaying by audio recording your thoughts and experience to the site owner. You will be letting them know things like ease of navigation, color scheme and font appeal, clarity of message. This isn’t steady work but most website testers earn $8 to $20 per test.
There is a high demand for freelance service providers. While there are companies like Fancy Hands that hire virtual assistants, you will likely find going out on your own to find clients will likely get you a higher wage – like twice as much as you can get working for someone else. Everyone from bloggers to Fortune 500 companies to individuals may be in need of the above services and more that you can provide.
Find more job openings for the above positions and more in our list of 101 companies that hire for work from home.
New to The Work at Home Wife?
Working at home successfully is all about maximizing your online time for profits. If you are new to my site, I highly recommend the below opportunities and resources.
- Ebates – I love, love, love Ebates. It’s not unusual for me to earn $300 to $1,000 per month in cash back bonuses and referring my friends. And, the program is free! They will even give you a $10 gift card just for signing up (and so will you).
- Swagbucks – This program has come a long way from its earn-for-search beginning. Today you can earn SB for completing surveys, watching videos and more. Redeem your SB (aka Swagbucks) for cash or gift cards. (Members redeem approximately 7,000 gift cards per day!) Get a $5 signup bonus when you earn 2500 SB in your first 3 months.
- Ibotta - This nifty little app can help you earn money doing something you have to do anyway - grocery shopping. It's kind of like coupons, but instead of money off at the counter, you get cash back on select items each week. You can take your rebate by PayPal in cash or use it to purchase gift cards at great merchants like Amazon. They also have an amazing referral program. Get $10 for every two friends you refer! If you sign up through my referral link, you will get another $10 bonus when you redeem your first rebate.
- Start a Blog – Blogging is what pays my bills these days. It’s not too difficult to start a blog on the side and it’s not expensive either. Learn how you can get your first month of hosting for only a penny in the above link. Already have a blog? Learn 7 Surefire Ways to Increase Your Income here.
- FlexJobs – This is my go-to job board for high-quality job leads. The listings are always researched and always telecommute. No scams!