Several times per year I get emails from former colleagues or friends stating that they lost their job or are sick of the corporate world. Since I work from home, their emails always end with a request for the current home-based options available. Here are 40 businesses you can start from home. Click through any of the links to learn more about the business and read interviews with business owners in these industries.
- Laundry Business
- Customer Service
- Web Content Writer
- Social Media Expert
- Virtual Assistant
- Blogger or Affiliate Marketer
- eBay Seller
- Homemade Crafts
- Coach or Mentor
- Virtual Professional Organizer
- Direct Sales
- House Sitter
- Pet Sitter
- Day Care
- Write and Sell eBooks
- Meal Delivery
- Cake Decorator
- Personal Trainer
- Candle Maker
- Soap Maker
- Event Coordinator
- Jewelry Maker
- Interior Decorator
- Landscaper or Gardener
- Sell Produce from Your Own Garden
- Music Teacher
- Wedding Planner
- Pet Groomer
- Antique Restoration
- Resume Writer
As you can see, some of these options can be operated entirely out of your home. Others you will need to venture out to earn your living. There is something for everyone, however. Assess your needs, passions and skill set.
Once you decide on a home business path, you are likely going to need a little help getting things started. Here are a few of my favorite resources:
- SCORE – This is the largest network of free business mentors. Offices are available across the U.S. They can advise you on every aspect of your business venture.
- FlexJobs – The #1 job board for researched telecommuting job leads. Definitely worth the nominal membership fee!
- Lynda – If you are looking for some quality online training, check out Lynda. Their trainers are vetted for expertise in their field. They also offer a free trial.
- 30 Days or Less to Freelance Writing Success – If you decided to take up writing as your freelance career, this course from Gina Horkey will help get you started on the right foot.
- Building a Framework – Want to be a blogger? Just a Girl and Her Blog has this amazing course available to help get you started.
- Start a Social Media Business – Whether you want to be a virtual assistant or a dedicated social media manager, Alexis Grant is an expert in her field. She has created this course to teach you the ropes of growing and engaging your clients’ social media profiles.
- Amazon Boot Camp – The Selling Family is well-known and trusted resource for Amazon FBA. This system will have you well on your way to a thriving online selling business.
- CareerStep – If you are looking to get into the fields of medical transcription or billing, you will need the proper training and certificate.
New to The Work at Home Wife?
Working at home successfully is all about maximizing your online time for profits. If you are new to my site, I highly recommend the below opportunities and resources.
- Ebates – I love, love, love Ebates. It’s not unusual for me to earn $300 to $1,000 per month in cash back bonuses and referring my friends. And, the program is free! They will even give you a $10 gift card just for signing up (and so will you).
- Swagbucks – This program has come a long way from its earn-for-search beginning. Today you can earn SB for completing surveys, watching videos and more. Redeem your SB (aka Swagbucks) for cash or gift cards. (Members redeem approximately 7,000 gift cards per day!) Get a $5 signup bonus when you earn 2500 SB in your first 3 months.
- Ibotta - This nifty little app can help you earn money doing something you have to do anyway - grocery shopping. It's kind of like coupons, but instead of money off at the counter, you get cash back on select items each week. You can take your rebate by PayPal in cash or use it to purchase gift cards at great merchants like Amazon. They also have an amazing referral program. Get $10 for every two friends you refer! If you sign up through my referral link, you will get another $10 bonus when you redeem your first rebate.
- Start a Blog – Blogging is what pays my bills these days. It’s not too difficult to start a blog on the side and it’s not expensive either. Learn how you can get your first month of hosting for only a penny in the above link. Already have a blog? Learn 7 Surefire Ways to Increase Your Income here.
- FlexJobs – This is my go-to job board for high-quality job leads. The listings are always researched and always telecommute. No scams!
Looking for an employee or independent contractor position? Check out these opportunities to work remotely.