Do you love accessorizing with beautiful jewelry? Is fashion an area where you thrive? Do you have a talent for creating unique jewelry and love making beautiful things with your own hands?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, selling jewelry from home might be a great way to bring in some extra income.
Here are three legitimate ways to turn your love for jewelry into profits.
Create and Sell Your Own Jewelry
If you’re crafty, and you enjoy making jewelry, you can start your own business based around your products.
Before sites like Etsy came around, getting your products to your customers was challenging. It often involved setting up displays at craft fairs and vendor shows, trying to build a name in the local market and hoping for referrals from previous customers.
But, you don’t have to run that display circuit anymore (unless you want to, and a lot of people think it’s fun!). Instead, you can set up your own business from the comfort of your home by following these steps:
- Decide what makes your business unique. There are tons jewelry sellers available to consumers, so you must stand out. What makes your business special? Do you use fair-trade components in all your products? Are you the best price around? The thing that makes you different is called your “unique selling proposition” — use it to build your brand!
- Know what your profit margin is. If you aren’t careful, you can actually lose money selling your jewelry. Make sure you calculate the cost of all your materials, your fee for labor (your time shouldn’t be free!), shipping costs, and any fees for selling. Then use this information to price your products so you stay profitable.
- Decide where to sell your jewelry. You have options for selling. You can create your own website and market directly to consumers through there. Other options include setting up a seller profile on Etsy, Zibbet, eBay, or similar online marketplaces. Then you can sell your products from there. Just be sure to read the fine print carefully so you understand what your fees will be.
- Make your jewelry. Do your best work on every single piece. Remember that your product and customer service are your reputation, and you want it to be a good one. The more people love your work, the more likely they are to buy more or refer you to a friend.
- Take beautiful pictures. Remember the saying a picture is worth 1000 words? This is especially true online, when people can’t pick up your jewelry to examine it themselves. Take high-quality photos of all products available for sale. Think about what you would want to see before purchasing, and make sure you capture all relevant angles. You can get decent photos using a newer smartphone, and there are lots of tutorials online to help.
- Put time into your product descriptions. What will your buyers want to know about your pieces? Give them the information they want in your product descriptions. Don’t take shortcuts here, or your sales will suffer. Include the essential information and a great description of every piece. If you’re listing your necklaces online, it will also help to think about the phrases people might use to find your necklaces and use those in your copy.
- Start marketing. Even if you have the most incredible offers, you can’t expect buyers just to show up. You’ve got to spread the words about your business. To market your products, consider using Instagram and Facebook, or any other social media platforms where your ideal buyers hang out. For jewelry specifically, Pinterest is another great option!
- Collect reviews and testimonials. As customers buy your product, encourage them to leave reviews of your pieces. If someone emails you a glowing review, ask for permission to use it as a testimonial. This is called social proof, and it’s important to help grow your sales.
Join a Direct Sales Jewelry Company
Creating your own jewelry isn’t a requirement for selling. There are many jewelry companies you can join, and I love direct sales as a work-at-home option. If you enjoy selling, and working with people, this is a great possibility for you.
There are quite a few jewelry companies you can join, so take a look at the inventory before picking. If you aren’t crazy about what you see, there are quite a few more to check out! Stella & Dot, Paparazzi, and Origami Owl are all popular right now. I think Trades of Hope is really interesting for a more unique bohemian look.
Make sure you read all the rules, see what’s included in the starter kit, and understand the compensation plans for any you consider. That way you have a clear picture of what to expect.
The key to success with direct sales is to find a product you absolutely love to share. It’s all about sharing what’s awesome!
Become an Affiliate Marketer for Established Companies
If you already have an online presence, you can add additional income streams by selling jewelry as an affiliate marketer.
You’d need to sign up as an affiliate for the companies you’re interested in. Then you start telling other people about them through blog posts or social media blasts. If someone clicks on your link and makes a purchase, you’ll receive a commission. Some companies even offer a referral bonus if someone you refer also becomes an affiliate.
The terms and conditions for affiliates varies greatly by company, so make sure you read all the details. You’ll want to know what percentage of commission you will receive, and how long the cookies last. Some also have limitations for where you can promote your affiliate link, so look at all the fine print before you start publishing your link everywhere.
These are five different jewelry companies that work with affiliates:
- Bella Branch. Currently, Bella Branch offers 25% commission for affiliates.
- LilyFair Jewelry. As an affiliate with LilyFair Jewelry, you can currently earn 15% commission.
- Jared. You can join the Jared affiliate program through Commission Junction. They currently offer between 5-7% commission.
- Sugar Bean Jewelry. A member of the ShareASale affiliate marketing network, Sugar Bean Jewelry offers 15% commission on all sales.
- KA Gold Jewelry. As an affiliate for KA Gold Jewelry, you receive 10% commission on every sale you refer.
These are just a few great ways to make money selling jewelry from home. Use your imagination and follow your passion!