Blog post titles are often an afterthought. You spent time researching keywords. You spent time researching your topic. You spent time writing your post. Now, you are ready to hit Publish and move on to the next task. It is easy to simply throw something up there and move along. Surely your regular readers will have an inkling as to the type of content you provide so that they will click through, but that may be the lifespan of your post if you don’t spend a few extra seconds crafting a good title. Use these tips for writing post titles that get readers clicking through long after today.
It’s a numbers game. People love numbered lists. Maybe they simply want to double-check that you delivered on your promise of six tips. Whatever it is, it works.
- Example: 6 Tips for Conquering Insomnia
Remember the 5 Ws (and that poor H). Try starting your titles with Who, What, When, Where, Why or How. You may ask a question or just make a statement. Either way, chances are good you may see an increase in your click-through rate. Make sure you are answering the question.
- Example: Why You Need to Change Hosting Companies Now
Use adjectives. Words like best, worst, top, and awesome get us intrigued.
- Example: Top 5 Summer Vacation Spots
Title length should be not too long, not too short, but just right. Give your readers an introduction. If your title is “Hostgator” I am going to be a little confused as to what’s next. Are you sending me to the Hostgator site? Are you reviewing Hostgator’s service? Is there some important news that I need to know? Let me know highlight what where I’m going and what to expect. This is especially the case on Twitter, where previews are not available.
- Before: Hostgator
- After: Top 10 Reasons to Make Hostgator Your Host
When all else fails, use a template. Simply fill in the blanks of a proven formula, and you are well on your way to a better blog post title.
- Example: Amazing [items] Under [low cost]
We have become a little dependent on post previews and our personal connections carrying the weight of titles. They are not always available, however. Putting a little extra effort into the title of your new blog posts can greatly increase your click-through rate and keep those posts active long-term.
Here are blog ideas to remove writer’s block and give some inspiration for your new blog posts!
Fun Blog Post Ideas
- 20 Fun Ideas for Your Next Blog Post
- The Top 10 Funniest Blog Posts of All Time
- A Collection of Hilarious Cat Memes to Inspire Your Next Blog Post
- How to Have More Fun in Life: A Guide for Creative Writers
- 50 Ideas for New and Exciting Blog Posts
- How to Turn Boring Topics into Interesting Blog Posts
- 20 Ways to Get More Traffic to Your Blog
- How to Optimize Your Blog Posts for SEO
- The Pros and Cons of Starting a blog
- What Makes a Good Blogging Platform?
- Tips for Choosing the Right Domain Name for your blog
- How to Create a Successful Blogging Schedule
- How to Write Compelling Blog Posts that Engage Readers
- The Top 10 Mistakes that New Bloggers Make
- How to Market Your Blog Locally and Globally
- Why Guest Posting is Important for bloggers
- How to Increase Engagement on Your Blog
- 10 Ways to Make Money From Your Blog
- How to Create a Professional Looking Blog
- What Are the Different Types of Blogs?
- What Movies, Shows, Or Documentaries Feature Your Industry?
- Use Questions On Forums like Quora or Reddit As Blog Posts
- What are your Favorite Blog Plugins?
- Write an In-depth Review of a Recent Podcast Episode
- Feature your Most Popular Posts
Practical Blog Post Ideas
- Tips for Choosing the Right Domain Name for your Blog
- Setting Up Your First WordPress blog
- How to Customize Your WordPress blog’s Appearance
- Six must-have WordPress plugins for bloggers
- Five Tips For Writing Better Content For Your Blog
- Using Images In Your Blog Posts To Enhance Engagement
- Tools And Resources For Writers: 19 Sites Every Writer Should Know About
- 30 Places To Find Free Images For Commercial Use
- Lessons learned from your customers over the Years
- The Importance of Unplugging from Social Media
- What Excites You About Your Niche Or Industry?
- Explain New Industry Trends
- Debunk Myths with Facts
- Post a case study
- Combine Your Best Blog Posts Into A Free E-Book
- Recommend the best blogs to follow
- Answer FAQs About Your Business, Products, or Blog
- Talk About Insights from Recent Data in Your Industry
- Create A Beginner’s Guide
- Create a Checklist
- Best ________ (Fill In The Blank) Tutorials
Controversial Blog Post Ideas
- The Pros and Cons of Abortion
- The Pros and Cons of Gun Control
- The Pros and Cons of the Death Penalty
- The Pros and Cons of Same-Sex Marriage
- The Pros and Cons of Vegetarianism/ Veganism
- The Pros and Cons of Legalizing Marijuana
- The Pros and Cons of School Uniforms
- The Pros and Cons of Capital Punishment
- The Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering
- The Pros and Cons of Zoos
Educational Blog Post Ideas
- The Top 10 Educational Blog Posts of All Time
- The Pros and Cons of Homeschooling
- Pros and Cons of Charter Schools
- How to Choose the Right School for Your Child
- The Top 5 Educational Technology Tools for Teachers
- How to Use Technology in the Classroom to Enhance Learning
- 20 Ways to Use Technology in the Classroom That Will Enhance Student Learning
- How to Create Engaging Online Lessons That Keep Students Motivated
- The Top 5 Tools for flipped learning
- How to Flip Your Classroom for Maximum Learning Engagement
- 20 Ideas For Flipped Classroom Activities That Will Keep Students Engaged
- How to Use Technology in the Classroom to Promote Active Learning
- The Top 5 Tools for Gamified Learning
- How to Create a Gamified Classroom That Will Enhance Student Engagement and Learning
- 20 Ideas For Gamified Classroom Activities That Will Keep Students Motivated
- The Top 5 Tools for creating engaging eLearning courses
- How to Create eLearning Courses That Are Engaging and Easy to Use
- 10 Tips For Creating Engaging eLearning Courses
- The Top 5 Tools for Online Collaborative Learning
- How to Use Technology to Promote Collaborative Learning in the Classroom
Lifestyle Blog Post Ideas
- What books are on your shelf?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- How to Live Life More Simply
- What is your makeup routine?
- What is your fitness routine?
- Tips for a Less Stressful Life
- Do you have a music playlist you can share?
- What things can’t you live without?
- Skim news headlines
- Look at the titles of Youtube videos