I recently reached out to The Work at Home Wife community asking for top picks of side hustles to make money from home. I had a few specifications that the hustle must meet to be considered:
- It doesn’t require a regular and strict commitment that may interfere with your “day job.”
- It doesn’t require a lot of money to start or maintain.
- It is something you enjoy doing.
Several people responded. Here are a few of their stories and recommendations.
Marc Isaacson is finding freedom through Udemy, “I’ve been self-employed (for the second time) since 2009. I’m currently working as a freelance web developer. And while I love being self-employed and love the work I do, I still recognize that things can be better still. I’m in the process of transitioning to teaching web development classes full-time online and am using the Udemy platform. This new phase of my life will allow me to combine my love of being self-employed with my passion for teaching (I was a High School math teacher for a brief period) and my love of programming. It gives me the opportunity to be truly my boss and to earn residual income!
“The reason this is the perfect side hustle is that it costs me absolutely nothing to use Udemy‘s platform, and I can work at creating my classes at whatever pace I want. I also get to choose how much of an initial investment I want to make in my equipment. So those startup costs are under my control. For the person who has a bit of knowledge that she is willing to share and a willingness to invest some time to learn how to create online classes, I’d recommend checking out the opportunity that Udemy offers.”
At-Home Customer Service Rep
Taylor Gordon is a freelance blogger. Taylor supplements her blogging income as an at-home customer service rep. She explains, “I work as an on-call apartment front desk concierge and it’s PERFECT for someone who owns their online biz and wants some stable income on the side.
- You only need a little bit of customer service experience to qualify
- You can choose the hours you want to work. If you have tons of projects, you can work just a few times per month
- If you concierge in the evenings or overnight there’s plenty of downtime to work on personal projects
- You get to network with tons of people
Taylor found her remote customer service position locally, but you can find some of the most popular opportunities in our 101 companies that hire for work at home post.
Paul Moyer from SavingFreak.com says, “For a side hustle my wife has started mystery shopping. It has worked very well for her because she can pick “shops” that work with her schedule and where she will be running errands any way. She is making about $300 a month in fees, and that does not include the reimbursement for things like groceries, restaurant meals, and even ice cream.”
Check out our big list of mystery shopping companies for opportunities.
Complete Online Tasks
There are some sites that pay people to complete online tasks ranging from surveys to web searches to testing websites for usability. You can pick these up and let them sit idle as you choose. Some of our favorites:
- Ebates – I usually earn around $1,000 per quarter shopping online and referring friends
- Inbox Dollars
Blogging is one of my favorite side hustles and one you can easily do in your free time. You can earn money through affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, selling advertising and creating your products. Profitable websites can also be a great asset. If you need some extra cash, sell a site you no longer love for two to three times the annual profit.
A few of my favorite blogging resources:
- Framework by Just a Girl and Her Blog – a great eBook course with tons of valuable information for newbies and veteran bloggers alike
- HostGator – affordable, user-friendly web hosting with one-click WordPress installation
- Food Blogger Pro – great online course and resource center for food bloggers
- Elite Blog Academy – *the* course that took my blogging game to a whole ‘nother level
I’d love for you to share some of your favorite side hustles for making money from home in the comments.
Free 7-day Series on Finding Work at Home
Join my weekly newsletter to receive remote job leads, work-at-home tips and my 7-day series on finding legitimate work from home FREE!